FREELANCE JOURNALIST-IN-RESIDENCE & EDITOR
- Employed on a freelance basis by ASSITEJ International, the International Association of Theatre & Performing Arts for Children & Young People (http://www.assitej-international.org/en/).
- Role involves attending and reporting on the Bibu Biennial Performing Arts Festival for Children and Youth (the ASSITEJ Artistic Gathering 2022) being held in Helsingborg, Sweden during 17th-22nd May 2022 (https://bibu.se/en). The event will include 25 Swedish and international productions (150 performances), 15 workshops, 60 seminars, and 20 networking/presentation opportunities. An estimated 1,200 Swedish and international industry professionals from 35 countries will attend on the ground in Sweden alongside 3,000 young people from local schools and families. In addition, a large virtual audience will join via the event’s online platform from all around the world (ASSITEJ International has National Centres in 64 countries, representation in a further 9 countries through our individual members, as well as 6 global networks working across borders).
- The role will involve producing written journalistic documentation of the event for publication on the online event platform. Such industry events have traditionally been ephemeral by their nature, meaning that there are very limited enduring or reproducible resources that come out of the event to be shared with the wider sector. The aim of this position is to more sufficiently capture, document, and disseminate the world-class knowledge, expertise, and skills that are exhibited at this festival in order to contribute to increased impact on learning and innovation across the Theatre & Performing Arts for Young Audiences sector. The journalistic material produced should not only generate publicity for the event but, more importantly, serve as enduring resources that capture the conversations, workshops, and performances at the event. This is particularly important for those professionals unable to travel (for financial, logistical, personal, COVID, or other reasons). The journalistic outputs will have the effect of broadening the audience who is able to access these events, increasing the utility of event sessions, and extending their legacy. Some sample outputs produced by volunteers at previous ASSITEJ International events can be found here:
- The role will involve both writing one’s own outputs but also managing, mentoring, and editing the written outputs produced by our team of student and other freelancers. Materials will be required to be released for immediate publication throughout the festival event, meaning long work hours are to be expected.
- The working period will be from Monday 16th May until Monday 23rd May in Helsingborg, Sweden. Days 1 and 8 will be half days, whereas Days 2-7 (the festival days) will be full days.
- Payment for this freelance role is set at 120 EUR per day however, due to the long working hours expected, payment will be 1.5 times this base rate. Therefore 180 EUR will be received per day for a total of 7 days = 1260 EUR.
- A grant of 6,399 SEK will be provided in order to cover 9 nights hotel accommodation (organised already by ASSITEJ International), allowing the position holder to stay from Sunday night (the day before the first workday) until Tuesday morning (the day after the last workday).
- Transportation and travel insurance expenses up to 200 EUR will be reimbursed. Note that the closest major airport is Copenhagen Airport and a return international train ticket from the airport to Helsingborg (approx. 1.5 hours each direction) costs 50 EUR.
- Regrettably, we can only accept applicants who have the right to live and work in the European Union / Schengen Zone.
- As a freelancer, you would be responsible for your own compliance with relevant tax declarations and payments, as will be indicated in your Independent Contractor Agreement.
- You would report to the Knowledge & Network Director, Chris Blois-Brooke, and would be working in a team with another freelancer, a placement student from The Royal Central School of Speech & Drama in London, and potentially other international/local interns and volunteers who will together produce multimedia documentation of the event, as well as supporting our livestreaming activities.
To apply, please send your CV, a short (max. 400 words) covering letter, and at least three examples of your written work to email@example.com at your earliest convenience before Friday 6th May 2022 at 12.00 Noon Copenhagen Time. Do of course let us know if there are any concerns or questions in the meantime.